Built in 1900 in Port Deposit, Maryland, the Jacob Tome School for Boys was funded and named after one of the richest men in the country at the time. After serving as a center for education, it would go on to wear many hats, including a training center for the Army and Navy during World War II.
Having been abandoned since 1990, the building is now a decaying skeleton of its former self, plagued by graffiti, arson, and the occasional homeless squatter. Redditor GuoKaiFeng snuck into its halls to see what was left of the old school...
When Jacob Tome arrived in Cecil County, Maryland, he was penniless, but after investing in a lumber company and railroads, as well as establishing four banks, he became the county's first millionaire.
Tome died in 1898, just four years after the school was founded. He left the project's 3 million dollar endowment (worth over $85 million today) to his wife Evalyn. She went on to use the money to build the school.
In 1900, the main buildings of the campus were constructed. Extra floors was added onto the original buildings providing a scenic view of the Susquehanna River. By 1902, the school had more than a dozen buildings.
When Pearl Harbor happened in 1941, the government was eager to buy training facilities for the Navy. After the school relocated, the property along with 50 parcels of nearby farmland was purchased to create a new campus for recruits.
The property was bought by the State of Maryland but was turned over to the Bainbridge Development Corporation. They plan on using it to form a multi-use community center, but unfortunately the main building mysteriously burned down in 2014.